To showcase the capabilities of The Albatross for search and rescue purposes, Monash UAS will be completing a live, simulated search and rescue scenario in late 2023.
The Albatross will:
- Take off vertically
- Transition to conventional horizontal flight
- Fly to a search area
- Initiate a search pattern
- Locate a simulated patient using our in-house computer vision software
- Loiter in an orbit around the patient’s GPS location whilst ground operators decide on safe package delivery location
- Transition to VTOL
- Approach and safely deliver life-saving supplies to the patient (lifejacket, first-aid kit, food, water etc.
- Transition back to conventional flight and return home.
The mission will be flown entirely autonomous – with inbuilt redundancies – all whilst maximising range and endurance and ensure the safe operation of the aircraft.